Ontario’s long-term care (LTC) and retirement homes (RH) sector will soon have a new environmental benchmarking platform available to them thanks to the Canadian Coalition for Green Health Care and funding support from Ontario’s Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO).
Through collaboration with LTC and RH partners, the project team will identify, measure and report on the environmental performance of Ontario’s Long-Term Care (LTC) and Retirement Homes (RH) sector (“LTC/RH sector”) with an emphasis on reducing energy consumption.
The key project outcome will be a set of standardized metrics for the sector (“scorecard”) that will enable sector-wide benchmarking of energy use and that can be used to improve energy efficiency decision-making and performance. These metrics will be supported by the development of a web-based tool (“online tool”) to assist the LTC/RH sector in collecting the scorecard data. The online tool will facilitate data tracking and monitoring for the sector and will be used to populate a web-based dashboard, which will evolve from the Coalition's existing scorecard format.
The new scorecard will continue the Coalition’s focus on helping organisations measure their environmental performance in a number of areas including energy and water conservation, waste management and recycling, corporate environmental leadership, pollution prevention, and energy behaviour. Ultimately, it will provide the sector and the IESO with important information and insights about the sector’s energy consumption.
"Using the Coalition’s existing Green Hospital Scorecard as a template, the new scorecard platform will be a game changer for operators of long-term care and retirement homes who wish to embrace environmental stewardship in a truly meaningful way. It will provide them with access to Canada’s first-ever, evidence-based evaluation tool to both help them measure their internal environmental performance and allow them to see where they stand environmentally relative to peer organisations." - Neil Ritchie, Executive Director, Canadian Coalition for Green Health Care
The project will consist of two phases:
Phase 1: Identify custom metrics for LTC and RH facilities and develop a web-based tool to gather the data
- Work with selected LTC and RH sites and organisations to identify readily obtainable energy data. Data will relate to building types, energy consumption and identification of energy-conservation measures.
- Create a set of online questions and key performance indicators (KPIs) that can be used to gather the data needed to develop the web-based environmental dashboard for the LTC/RH sector. The online tool will then enable participants to input their own performance data. In Phase 2, this tool will be used to generate the scorecard automatically when linked to the scorecard so that participants can more readily benchmark their performance across the sector.
- Create a companion guidance document to assist participant sites in using the online tool.
Phase 2: Create the scorecard and pilot the online tool and scorecard with selected participants in the LTC/RH sector
- Use data collected by the online tool to create the web-based environmental performance dashboard based on the selected sector-specific metrics.
- Pilot the online tool and dashboard in a limited number of LTC and RH sites
- Develop the software needed to automatically link the data in the online tool data to the web-based dashboard.
- Prepare a final project report and share results with sector stakeholders via webinar (approximately March 2022).
Anyone interested in becoming involved in this new Coalition LTC/RH initiative is asked to contact Ozora Amin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Energy Management Advisor
Senior Software Engineer
Marketing and Outreach Coordinator